ENTER ABOVE FOR LIVE BUZZARDS BAY CAMS
NEW - WINDSURFER WIND FORECAST FOR WEST ISLAND
- Known by the locals and [West] Islanders, this small crescent-shaped gem offers great swimming in calm waters. Swimming best at high tide. If you don't want to drive, then go by boat: at the western heart of Buzzards Bay, facing Falmouth. Take a nature walk, see the estuaries and birds on the uninhabited "back-side of the island". Sunrises on Town Beach; sunsets at the causeway. Find your peace here.
The West Island Town Beach opens in late June and ends Labor Day weekend.
Passes are available at the BPW Office, 5 Arsene St.
or at the entrance to the West Island Town Beach. See below for more details.
2018 SUMMER SCHEDULE
Season Pass: $30.00 per vehicle
Day Pass vehicle: $10.00
Day Pass Walk-In: $3.00
There is no charge for Fairhaven Senior Citizens
Season Pass: $100.00
Day Pass Vehicle: $20.00
Day Pass Walk-In: $10.00
PASSES AT TOWN BEACH OR BPW Office. 508-979-4023508-979-4023
There are also toilet facilities available.
The beach is staffed from 9AM to 4PM.
Please help keep the beach clean.
The above services are not available off season.
Facts About Jellyfish
- Jellyfish stings are the most common injury sustained by beachgoers each year.
- Jellyfish stings are painful because when jellyfish tentacles touch us, they release millions of tiny corkscrew-shaped cells called nematocysts. The nematocysts penetrate our skin and repeatedly release painful toxins.
- When we?re stung, our natural reaction is to rub the injured area. However, this action triggers even more nematocysts to fire their toxins, causing even more pain.
- In 2006, the British Broadcasting Company reported more than 130 million jellyfish stings. Many experts estimate that the number is actually much higher.
- The jellyfish problem is getting worse. Increased bacteria and warmer oceans have caused the jellyfish population to increase dramatically in recent years.
- FDA-compliant Jellyfish Squish® contains the maximum over-the-counter dosage of lidocaine, the same ingredient that hospitals use to treat burn patients.
- Jellyfish Squish® has been proven to stop the pain of jellyfish stings within 5 minutes of application?and to stop the pain-causing nematocysts from firing again.